Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Please, Wear Plaid (Without Looking Like Everyone Else)

Plaid is almost never out of style, but this fall it's gaining attention as a trend. I have mixed feelings about this. I like plaid as much as the next girl. It's put-together and can be pretty or funky, depending on the colors/print or how you style it. However, I'm sick and tired of seeing those damn plaid shirts that everyone wears...you know, the ones with black checks that come in just about every color of the rainbow? The ones that people throw on with a pair of jeans and think it's high-fashion?

...yeah, these.

FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD. People are passing this off as high-fashion. Everyone has their bad days - the other day I went to get my remaining school stuff with my dad and brother, and I was wearing knockoff Soffe shorts and a Japanese Frosted Flakes T-shirt, an outfit of which I am not proud - but for the love of all that is holy, how did this get to be a trend? I can see it a little more if you're a guy, but I think you can still be a little more creative, especially when everyone's wearing this.

I'm not saying you shouldn't wear plaid shirts. I'm saying you shouldn't wear the stereotypical scene kid plaid shirt that looks like it belongs on a lumberjack. I'm all for smaller checks or even the big ones in small doses, but if you don't want to blend into the crowd, take my advice and veer away from the "cool kids" shirt.

Truth is, there are always lots of cute plaid products out. Try wearing a plaid skirt instead of a top, or if you're a little nervous about plaid, start with some neat accessories, like a scarf or a purse. They make just about everything in plaid now, so if you can dream it, you can probably find it.

Here's a little Polyvore set with some cute pieces to get you started!
Plaid


Moon Collection plaid skirt
$50 - modcloth.com

Ecote pouch bag
$39 - urbanoutfitters.com

Red bracelet
$20 - glitzandglamourboutique.com

Plaid hat
$25 - modcloth.com

Forever21 plaid scarve
$5 - forever21.com

Pink sunglasses
£14 - debenhams.com

Checked Wire Tie Bow Headband
£8 - missselfridge.com



How do you wear plaid? Are you irritated that I ripped on the scene plaid shirt? Let me know in the comments! Happy plaid-ing!
Sam

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this. I'm tired of those black-and-neon plaid shirts. Plaid is definitely a nice pattern for fall, so I wish people would try fall color plaid items. Also, I was eyeing that skirt from ModCloth. I really like it because it's like two fall favorites in one: plaid and midi (sorta) skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! People seem to think that those plaid shirts are super in and it's just not. It looks lazy and irritating. I love the skirt and the bracelet though :). I have a plaid scarf I wear during the fall.

    ReplyDelete