Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fashion Inspiration - Yuki Isoya


One of my favorite bands is Judy and Mary, a Japanese pop/rock band from the 90's. The lead singer, Yuki Isoya (who is now a solo artist and goes by the name YUKI), is absolutely divine. Though not nearly as extreme as Lady Gaga, she went crazy with fashion onstage and off in her JAM days, and she remains very fashion foward today. I envy her ability to wear her crazy ideas and make them look great. Here are a few of my favorite YUKI looks. I won't be going into the extremely crazy, but these looks are definitely edgy and may not fit everyone's tastes.

There are two things I really like about this outfit - the mismatched thigh-highs and the swim goggles as an accessory. I would love to try wearing goggles, but I'm afraid they'll look stupid.



                              The first picture is the opening frame from JAM's video for "Dokidoki." The second is a screenshot I took from the aforementioned video. The band members are all dressed in school uniform-inspired outfits with a fashionable twist.  I love the tailored emblem jackets, Yuki's beret, and her plaid pants.

Oh man...look at those leopard-print boots! I love the comfy yet edgy rocker feel of this outfit. The skirt has a DIY look to it, and the custom shirt (which says YUKKY, her nickname, in the same font the band KISS uses) is something I wish I could have for myself (with her name, though, not mine). This look wouldn't be hard to imitate though - a band shirt with some killer boots or leopard shoes with a denim or midi skirt would be super cute.

Okay, I know I've already posted this photo before, but I cannot do a post on YUKI without it. Obviously, this is a stage look (though I would kill to have a chance to wear that skirt). While this would take extreme guts to wear in real life, perhaps a cool skirt or tutu like this could be worn to a themed party?

Have you heard of Judy and Mary? Do you like them, or are you going to listen to them after reading this post? And what do you think of Yuki's clothes? Let me know in the comments below! :)

1 comment:

  1. Really liked this post because I'm really into Japanese music. I like her style. It's unique, different, and a touch edgy, all without being all visual kei on us. :)

    ReplyDelete