Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I think fashion just went a little more downhill...

Lately at school I've been noticing what kind of clothes I have to wear for people to think I'm "dressed up." I wear a cute skirt with a color-coordinated T-shirt and someone comments, "You look very dressed up today." I go to tap class wearing slacks and a button-up shirt and people ask me why I'm so "dressed up."

...I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't think I was that "dressed up." I was trying to look kind of nice for an audition while still being comfortable. I live off-campus and it was just easier that way.

Then when I start going really glam with lots of accessories, no one says anything about being too "dressed up." Every once and a while I'll get a compliment, but never "you're dressed up." WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

I'm going to keep dressing how I want no matter what these people say, but I think it's kind of sad that if you make an effort at school, you're "dressed up." I'm not the kind of girl who wants to go to school in a T-shirt and sweats. In fact, it kills me that we're not supposed to wear skirts to tap class (although people have been doing it lately; I might have to try and see if I get any crap about it) - telling me not to wear skirts is like telling a pregnant lady not to eat the last piece of chocolate cake.

Mmm, cake.

1 comment:

  1. I guess what they mean by "dressed up" is something along the lines of business casual and beyond. I guess to people accessories are just something you can add on to anything and are just extras so they don't really care, but they focus more on your clothes. A skirt or trousers would be dressed up on my campus as people here prefer their jeans and sweats, but we also see very nice tops and jackets (so many rich people) that aren't considered "dressed up." So confusing.

    ReplyDelete